RIP Imbris the ISP
Forenoon watch, 4 bells (10:13 am)

My local ISP, Imbris (don't bother clicking, their site is down, too!) is offline. For the second time in just over two weeks.

Their office is locked up and dark. If you call their sales department, you get sent to a voicemail box that is full and will accept no more messages.

After the previous outage (which spanned around 36 hours), there wasn't a peep from the company about what went down. No apologies, no notes on their website, nothing. At that point, I started researching alternatives. I'm all for supporting local businesses and the "little guys," but this is ridiculous. I've used Imbris for as long as I've had an Internet connection. In the old (Nidlink) days, they provided dialup and a UNIX shell for each of their users (those were some fun times).

But I'm through with the outages. I'm through with them not paying their bills when they bill me regularly for mine. One time I could forgive, although I was quite upset there was no follow-up. If their first outage didn't cause them to lose most of their business, this one will. I've already ordered alternate service, and recommend anyone else to do the same.

Goodbye, Imbris, may you Route In Peace. Or not. I don't care anymore.

12 Comments »

12 Responses to “RIP Imbris the ISP”

1. Corey says:

Damn you Imbris. I too have been with them since Nidlink. It's a crappy situation now.

2. Sharon says:

May I ask what provider you decided to go with and how you got such a fast hookup? We are still waiting for an install kit (Verizon).

3. Sharon says:

My son is a Marine stationed in Japan, and used Imbris for all his e-mails, we have been with them for just as many years as you describe. Now he is at a loss, so many miles away. I too am extremely surprised and irritated that there was no customer follow-up in the way of an appology or anything. We are done with them as well.

4. Kelly says:

I, too, am finished with Imbris and I had been with them from the very first. What I am so angry about is that there was absolutely no notice...no email, no letter, no notification at all. How can a company like this be trusted to do better when they have obviously done worse? If I engaged in that kind of customer service, I would have been out of business years ago!!

5. Scurvy Jake says:

After evaluating wireless and tossing it aside ($70 for 512k access? Are you kidding? And don't try to woo me with "burst speed") I broke down and ordered Time Warner cable Internet. The price is comparable, at least for the first year, $35 for 5 megabits down and 512k up.

I must say I agree with all of you and am disappointed in the way Imbris has performed recently. It is my understanding the company was purchased late last year, and looks to me as if it has been run in to the ground.

Here's an article about the business. Go read it, it's short.

I run the IT department for a software company in Coeur d'Alene. I can tell you that I can barely keep up with things. One man cannot run an ISP. I don't know how he plans on doing it. He doesn't even live here. How can he fix hardware issues? How does he even know he has one before it breaks??

After the first outage in late March, any normal business would have responded to its customers, reassured them it wouldn't happen again, offered compensation, etc etc. At the bare minimum, a normal company would have prepared a contingency plan to get things fixed in an emergency.

I find it difficult to believe Mr. Fowler will be able to continue to operate this business. If the first outage didn't lose him enough customers, this one certainly will.

I paid on a monthly basis with my debit card, and now I'm worried that I will continue to be charged for the non-service I've been provided. I talked to my bank and will certainly be challenging any future charges made to my account by Imbris, given that I can't get hold of anyone to cancel my service.

6. ellie says:

man, you got a better deal then me from time warner. I HATE that nobody seems to just have one price anymore. I feel like I'm in Thailand and need to start bartering with everyone. grrr.

7. Scurvy Jake says:

Ellie: Sorry to hear that. I just went to their website online and signed up. I don't know why it would have been a better deal than anyone else.

8. Xhefri says:

How about people like us who paid on a yearly basis? Seems like a company just can't go away and not be accountable for services paid for. How many people had websites on their server or had email address that ran through their ISP that now can not be reached due to Imbris service just dying?

We are thankful we had adopted a new email address for our business a few years ago, but due to the nature of our work we still had in some publications and TV programming the old Imbris.net email and were getting them up till last week. They will now not be able to contact us, unless they call on the phone or go to our website (thankfully on another server). really it all seems wrong....illegal as a matter of fact. Money was taken and services not given in return

9. Scurvy Jake says:

I certainly understand your frustration. My wife's uncle paid for six months at a time. At this point, nobody knows if Imbris will come back online or not.

All I know for sure is that I can no longer trust Imbris to provide service, and I'm frustrated I can't even call or email anyone to cancel my "service."

My suggestion to any business that runs their website via an ISP is to make sure you control the DNS records. Register your sites online with GoDaddy or some other company and point it at your ISPs servers so that if/when they go down, you at least have the power to restore your content to a new server and redirect traffic (including mail).

10. Scurvy Jake says:

At this point, Imbris's website is still offline. After being down this long, I don't know how Imbris can possibly stay in business.

11. Joetro says:

I'd have to say they're done, Jake. At least for us. Can't get in touch with anyone and they have our domain name. Would like to at least try to buy it from them, but it looks like I'll have to wait until it expires. I didn't set the domain up or there wouldn't be this mess. I came in after the fact to clean up a mess by a so-called "IT guy".

12. Scurvy Jake says:

@Joetro: Ouch. Sorry to hear that. I've had to deal with domain issues before, and it's not fun. You can file a grievance with the domain registrar and they should release it to you if you can prove its yours. Of course, if the current holder never responds to them they may give it to you without much trouble…