FailWiki
Posted in Tech
Afternoon watch, 7 bells (3:55 pm)

I just finished setting up a new instance of MediaWiki for an internal department. Everything went fine, the setup was straight forward. Except nobody could edit any pages. Even the front page.

Turns out the default values you get are garbage. Specifically, the memory usage. After enabling error logging (also off by default), I found that if you tried to edit a page, the wiki used up the default of 20Mb and halted, resulting in a blank screen any time you click an edit link on the wiki.

Once I figured this out and cranked up the memory limit, things started working fine. I'm just left wondering why the default settings cause the system to fail "out of the box."

Leave a Comment »

Leave a Reply