Sourdough Revisted
Posted in General
Forenoon watch, 4 bells (10:08 am)

My latest loaf of sourdough bread just came out of the oven. This time I baked it inside a dutch (cast iron) oven, inside the oven. The crust is much better, the bread is cooked throughout perfectly, and on the whole retained more moisture than it usually does. It's fluffy and sour and just perfect. I'm going to be getting a lot of mileage out of this dutch oven. This time I preheated the ovens together to 400 degrees, then when everything was good and hot, turned the oven down to 375 and put the dough in for 30 minutes. I had some splitting of the top this time, but I also forgot to score the top of the loaf with a knife before baking. I don't know if this would have prevented the splits, but it's worth noting.

6 Comments »

6 Responses to “Sourdough Revisted”

1. Mae says:

I've been searching for a recipe for Giza culture starter and can't find one online anywhere. I've found places I could buy it, but I'd rather just make it. Is this something where I just need to suck it up and buy it?

I'm especially interested in this variety because you said you didn't feed it very often. (My cats are lucky they get fed every day!)

2. Mae says:

Ok, so I've been researching online about sourdough cultures and realized something...since I have no sense of smell, am I entering dangerous territory? Is it common for starters to get contaminated? I should probably just call you and Loks.

3. Scurvy Jake says:

You can't "make" Giza culture sourdough. I think some places sell it as a dry good, which you reconstitute, but I'm not positive.

You can, however, make your own sourdough starter. Or you can get some from a friend. Mine came from my uncle. You can find sourdough starter recipes online pretty easily.

4. Scurvy Jake says:

I think you could see that the culture was bad. It's normal to get a layer of clear liquid on top (the "hooch"). I just stir it back in to the starter. I have read that some people pour it off. I think it just adds to the sourdough flavor.

I think I've had this starter about two years now and only in the last few months have I really been using it. I have yet to find a way to kill it…

5. Mae says:

Ok, thanks. I did read online that the reason it's Giza is because it's absorbed the cultures that are native to that area. Some argue that if you were to bring it over here, it will eventually be more of your locale's culture...whatever. I just made a freecycle post to see if anyone has a starter they could share a bit with me.

Thanks for the tips!

6. Scurvy Jake says:

Yes, I imagine it's extremely hard to keep natural yeasts out of your culture. But my uncle told me that's what it was. Whether the Giza yeast replicates itself or is beat out by local yeasts I have no idea. It still tastes great. If I had any good way to get you some of my starter I would.